Quote for the Day: Psalm 63:8, "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me."

Monday, June 4, 2012

Pilgrim’s Progress

Author: Bunyan, John (1628-1688)

Description: Pilgrim's Progress is a great work of Christian literature. Originally composed in the 17th century, this spiritual allegory has entertained and delighted innumerous readers for over 300 years. Part I tells of "Christian" and his journey to "Celestial City;" Part II tells of the journey of Christian's wife Christiana and their children to Celestial City. The two parts work together as a unified whole, which describes and depicts the believer's life and struggles. Pilgrim's Progress does not simply instruct readers with spiritual allegories; it entertains them as well, through Bunyan's creative story telling. Enjoyable and spiritually instructive, Pilgrim's Progress is highly recommended.

I can count the number of fiction’s I have read on two hands, over my lifetime, until this year.  I don't have anything against fiction, it's just I have always felt such an urgency to read the non-fiction Christian books.  Books on Prayer, the Holy Spirit, Believing God, Healing, etc.  My library if full of them. However, this year, I have given myself permission to read for pleasure, again only by Christian authors.

At the moment I am reading an old classic, Pilgrim’s Progress, a book I noticed when I was young, but just wasn’t interested in reading. What is intriguing me now I don’t know, but I was drawn to the "old books" in the church library and found it.  I encourage you to read it if you have some time this summer.  The type of writing is different and takes a little time (which is good for our brains), but it really makes you think. It also has lots of biblical references to look up later throughout the text.

In just the first two chapters, some of the character’s names are: Christian, Obstinate, Pliable, Worldly Wiseman, Legality, Civility, Help, Goodwill and Interpreter.

Some of the places are: City of Destruction, Sloth of Despond, Carnal Policy, Morality and The Gate
.
It is an allegory of the journey of a Christian to eternity.  You can download the entire book, FREE, by going to the website: Christian Classics Ethereal Library which is public domain. 

Their website is: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/pilgrim.html.

Check it out!  Hope you enjoy! 

Blessings,  Pat

No comments: