Quote for the Day: Psalm 63:8, "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me."

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Facing Any Giants? Part 4

 
The following days I noticed a peace I hadn’t had for a very long time.

My husband and I went in, as scheduled for my fifth chemo treatment ready to tell the doctor I didn’t want another treatment. The doctor came in with the test results of the PET scan. He sat down and said I was all clear of any cancer after only four treatments.

We cried and thanked the Lord Jesus Christ for healing me. We praised Him for a few minutes before we gained our composure. There was no necessity to have that fifth treatment, but the doctor wanted me to have it for “good measure”. I did, but praised God the whole time.

We thanked the church and all our friends for praying.  We have people in our church dealing with cancer and other illnesses and I struggle when others are not healed. I'm embarrassed to talk about my healing. But I praise and thank God that He healed me. 

I do not have any answers why some are healed and some are not. I do not have any formulas. God is not a respecter of persons! I am not special!!

I just know, in my particular case, the giant I was focusing on had a lot to do with my cancer and slaying him and focusing back on Jesus, had everything to do with healing my cancer. 

The peace and joy I have is from keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus who has the power to slay giants. I do not want to allow anything to become a giant in my life again. We allow our feelings and situations to become giants when we take our eyes off Jesus and His power.

What are the giants in your life?

They come in many forms: fear, worry, anxiety, stress, depression, loss, alienation, relationships, finances, our habits, habits of others with whom we live. Any little or big thing can become a giant “if we” let it.

When Goliath and the other Philistines lined up, they cast a shadow of fear over the Israelites. Remember, “On hearing the Philistine’s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified”.

Doesn’t that describe a lot of us in many situations? The enemy will use anything to keep our eyes off the Lord. He knows God is the only one with the power to fix the situation.

Remember also, Goliath threatened them for forty days. The enemy is relentless. Every day things happen that want to throw us for a loop. And, sometimes they do. But, we simply need to choose day to day, moment by moment to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus instead of the situation.

We do not need to remain afraid or stay discouraged for long. Two things we can do. In the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ we can:

1) Slay the giants we face.
2) Refuse any new giants.

It is important that we remember:
...we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12, NLT).

Isaiah 26:3 says, “He will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in You”.

This is God’s promise. We believe. We trust. We have God’s peace that passes all understanding.

Blessings, Pat 

No comments: