Quote for the Day: Psalm 63:8, "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me."

Monday, January 2, 2012

Every Generation

My daughter, son-in-law, and my four grandchildren came to visit this Christmas and stayed for five days.  The kids are 18, 16, 7 and 5.  It was wonderful to be with them.  All the stress just drained from the month's activities when they arrived.  What is it about family that comforts us so?

The night before the morning they were going to leave, my husband invited a friend from church over for dinner and to help him hook up some speakers in his "man cave".

After dinner the men went downstairs and fiddled around with speakers and recording devices.  At one point the living room floor vibrated from the speakers.  (What is it with men and speakers and remotes?) 

My daughter (Jeannie) and eighteen year old grandaughter (Allie)  have beautiful voices and the friend suggested he get a recording so I could hear their voices anytime I wanted to.  The girls were very shy about it and almost refused to do it.  So, I was feeling silly and said, "Come on, we will all do it!" - totally planning on being mute the whole time they were singing.

But the Lord had something else in mind.  A blessing I could not have arranged if I had tried.  By the end of the evening, my daughter, granddaughter and myself, had recorded a song together.  Three generations.  It was incredible.  We only had three practice times through the song I had never heard before. But, Allie really liked the song.  Amazingly, we all came in on the same note, ended on the same note. And blended beautifully. Of course, it is a very elementary recording, but it was a gift to us.

I lost my singing voice after my chemotherapy last year and had just been able to sing a whole song at church a few weeks ago. I have never felt confident to sing to anyone but the Lord, but even that was difficult for a year.

 Only the Lord knew a deep desire of mine was to be able to sing with them, but why would I ever have an opportunity?  They live so far away it never would have happened except for the Lord orchestrating it.  What a gift.

In the early 80s, when my children were young, I fell in love with a song Debbie Boone sang called, To Every GenerationIt kept going over and over in my mind yesterday, but I couldn't remember the words. So, I looked it up on the internet.

God has indeed been faithful to three generations and I praise Him for that so much.  In spite of all my mistakes, and there were a lot of them, he heard my prayer to cover my mistakes with His love and care and precious Blood.  And, that they would know Him personally and want to serve Him with all their hearts.  He has been faithful and IS faithful.

The last phrase of the song (highlighted in yellow) is, I believe, every mother's prayer for her children.  I hope the song warms your heart.

 Here are the words:.(You can find it by going to "Google search" and typing: To Every Generation YouTube by Debbie Boone).

From the  dawning  of the world and its wonders before the mountains reached the sky
From everlasting to everlasting you were there through all of time
All my fathers heard your call through the ages
They made the choice to follow you

You were faithful to the faithful they found your promise to be true
You have been a shelter lord
To every generation, to every generation
Sanctuary from the storm

To every generation, to every gteneration, Lord
I was born into your arms oh my Father

There’s still a refuge there for me
From my first breath drawn from your breath you’ve been my security

You have been a shelter Lord
To every generation

A sanctuary from the storm
To every generation Lord

My years go by before your eyes like days rushing to the night
Time will still every dream I feel, give my hope a place to hide

All the days, all my life
Let my children know your mercy in the morning and find your greatness as they grow

May your glory be their glory may your heart become their home
You will be a shelter Lord, to every generation to every generation

Sanctuary from the storm now and forever.


This is my immediate family. Christmas 2010.  My husband, stepdaughters in the front middle. My son and his family on your left and my daughters family on the right. I'm in the back middle surrounded by love. I am blessed!
 

No comments: