Quote for the Day: Psalm 63:8, "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me."

Monday, January 23, 2012

Proverbs 31:20-21–Day 6

 
(So sorry.  I was out of town and got thrown off somehow. If you didn’t read Day 5 you can either scroll down or go to the past articles and pick it up. Again, sorry about that.)

Proverbs 31:20 - 21, “She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet”.

When Jeannie (my daughter and the author of 2betterthanone blog) asked me , out of the list she had, what Proverbs  I wanted to do, I thought I would find something to write about verses 20-21. However, I wasn’t really wanting to write about the journey we had been on with this homeless couple.  It was still a little too fresh emotionally. As much as I saw the hand of the Lord working every day, there were some struggles during that time. I didn’t want to talk about the struggle, but I know there are those out there who struggle with the details of these kinds of things also. Most of the time you hear about the blessings, but the realness of the struggles don’t always get mentioned. And yet, that is where the real grown is going on.  So, I humbly share some of those ups and downs. 

The Blessing…continued from Day 5  

The second week they were with us, we had a young girl come to stay with us, who we had been ministering to who was trying to break her addiction to drugs. She had been in several facilities to “withdraw”, but she walked away before she got better. She kept going home and her parents needed a break.  So we said she could stay with us for a couple of weeks. 

I have never dealt with someone who was addicted to alcohol or drugs, so I didn’t know what to do except love her. She is a very sweet girl and we do love her. She accepted Christ when she was little, and was baptized a couple of years ago and deep inside, she really does want to stop using. But, she has been using for so long she is having a very difficult time quitting.  Part of her wants to, but more of her doesn’t. Satan is really beating her up. 

At first things were going well, then the normal emotional roller coaster with the temptations for her came in to play.  Needless to say, over the last couple of days, things didn’t go well and she decided to leave. That was a huge heartbreaker. I cried and prayed on and off for days. We still love her and pray for her constantly because we see so much good in her and her personal struggle.  But that was a biggy.
Then, I have to admit, money was tight and in the back of my mind I was wondering where the money would come from to care for everyone’s physical needs: food, gas, baby items, etc. Fixing dinner for six, when you've been used to cooking for three.  But, it was so obvious the Lord had put these people in our lives, I couldn’t second guess whether they should be there or not.

We were on a very tight budget if we were going to have any kind of Christmas for my kids and grandchildren when they came. There were going to be eighteen people here for Christmas Day. I had saved just enough to get gifts and food for the holidays.

I didn't know what was going to happen. But, compared to what this couple was going through, that seemed shallow to think about such things. Besides, isn’t this what Christmas is suppose to be about? I believe when the Lord asks us to do something I believe He supplies what we need to complete the task.

I've heard someone say, "God doesn't always call the equipped. But, He equips those He calls".  Praise the Lord.

So, I prayed, "Lord, I trust you to work everything out and provide. You have never let us down yet. I have to believe you put them here for a reason, and you will provide. Your Word says you will supply every need and Your Word never returns void. In the Name of Jesus. Amen."

One of the blessings, was, our family knew things were tight, but noone else did.  My sixteen-year old step daughter said one day out of the blue, "Pat, I really don't want any presents this year".  I looked at her and said, "Why?".   She said, "Because I want the money you would spend on me to go to Rob and Beth and Robbie".  My heart sank and soared. (How can that happen?)

"Well, honey" I said "I can't Not get you presents. You will have presents".  She said, "Then just a small one". 

God was changing the heart of my stepdaughter because of her love for them.  She kept telling her dad, "Don't be in a hurry to have them leave, okay?".   She really fell in love with them. We weren't in a hurry for them to leave, however, they needed to stand on their own two feet and we had a short window to help them with that.  Christmas was coming on us fast and so was their wedding and company, etc.

This story continues on Day 7


Blessings, Pat

Here is a list of the bloggers and their topics for your daily reading.
Hope you are inspired!!

No comments: