Quote for the Day: Psalm 63:8, "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me."

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Power of Prayer and the Prayer of Power

As a lot of Christians, I frequently feel very inadequate and ineffective in my prayer life.  Other times I feel like my prayers really are touching the heart of God.  But, we don't go by feelings, praise the Lord!  We know by faith that God hears our prayers.  We know by faith God answers our prayers, whether we like the answer or not. Whether it is yes, no, or wait. We know by faith His ways are perfect and His timing also.  How wonderful that what we think is the right answer, "Our Heavenly Father knows best", and if we ask for His best, He is faithful to give it to us.

The problem is, we don't always ask.  James 4:2 reads, "You have not, because you ask not". Our pride wants to cry out, "But I pray every day!"  Deep inside our hearts though, we know we want and need to pray more effectively.  We know, our lives and the lives of others could be better, if only we would pray.  We know our transformationn to the likeness of Christ only comes through prayer.  Yet, we are stumped to know how to do better.

I was reading R.A.Torrey's book this morning, The Power of Prayer and the Prayer of Power. If you can, try to find a copy of it. It is powerfully thought provoking. It was reprinted in 1971, from the original writing in 1924 - another classic.  He said, "...prayer will promote our personal piety, our individual holiness, our individual growth into the likeness of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as nothing else but the study of the Word of God; and these two things, prayer and study of the Word of God, always go hand-in-hand, for there is no  true prayer without study of the Word of God, and there is no true study of the Word of God without prayer".

Oh, how I long to be more like Christ. My heart cries out, "Lord teach me to pray as I ought!"  I know I cannot conform myself to the image of God, only the Lord can transform my life.  However, I can pray more for that transformation. 

Psalm 139:23,24 is a prayer for today. "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my anxieties, and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting".

God is faithful to answer that prayer.

Blessings today my sisters in Christ!

Pat

No comments: