Quote for the Day: Psalm 63:8, "My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me."

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Proverbs 31:20-21–Day 4

Proverbs 31:20 - 21, “She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet”.

Remember the definition of the word “extend” , from yesterday, “to stretch out; draw out to the full length”?  Remember about the Lord wanting to stretch the borders of our tents and some times it is unexpected? Well, He pushed my borders almost to the breaking point!  But God…

The Blessing…continued from Day 3 (Scroll down to Day 2 to begin story)

Rob and Beth slept until about eleven o’clock the next morning.  She said the baby kept her up most of the night. He slept with her because that is where he was used to being, but she couldn’t sleep for fear of rolling over on him.

That morning the baby was cranky and tense. They were a little edgy also. Not knowing what they were going to do – no job, no money, no home, cold outside and a baby they loved so dearly. 

I knew I had family coming in Christmas Eve, but until then, we felt they needed the time to just stay with us and rest and regroup and find what the Lord wanted to do.  So, we told them they could stay with us until Christmas Eve.  That would be almost a month to get their health back, feel a little more stable, get a job, place to live and most of all loved. 

So they settled in.  The next day, they brought the rest of their things, from the place they had been staying.  They had more clothes, a bassinette that had been in storage somewhere, and…unfortunately, among their things there was Herman, a three-year old Australian Shepherd. She thought the dog could stay at their friends house, but they said no.  So, they had him in the car with them. 

Now, this is when the Lord and I had a talk! This was a bit too much stretching for me.  I like animals, (please don’t hate me),but from a distance.  If I see one hurt or australian-shepherd-240ds090310[1]mistreated, I will step in. However, I hate to admit it to anyone, but I am a little phobic when it comes to animal hair, etc.  I don’t like that I am that way, but, I am. So, this was almost a deal breaker.  Again, but God…

She was very apologetic when she came in to tell me.  I smiled at her but my stomach was turning and the temptation to be anxious was at the door.  The only thing I said after she told me was, “Oh, honey, I can’t have a dog in the house.”  I prayed really quickly to know what to do. She felt he could stay in the garage since he had a lot of hair. “Oh, Lord, now a dog?” I just had to chuckle after the initial shock of it all. Well, Praise the Lord!!!

My family couldn’t believe this, but, I was the one who put a heater out in the garage and made a comfortable bed and made sure they took him out and fed him. I felt so guilty about not letting him in our house.  On days, they were too wrapped up in their problems to remember they had him.  Fortunately on the days they got up and just left, our sixteen year old took him for walks and fed him.

I have to admit I have never seen a dog so well behaved. He was quiet, obedient to sit, stay, or come. Never complained.  They had trained him well.

Everything they owned was in the bedroom they were staying in.  We emptied the dresser and closet so they could put their things away. We put the bassinet up beside the bed so the baby wouldn’t have to sleep with her any longer.  Maybe she could get some rest.

After a few days, we noticed the baby was not crying as much and he was happier.  He was calmer and it seemed he felt more secure.  They felt at home enough to get up in the middle of the night and get something to eat if they were hungry.  That made me feel good.   

Read more of the story on Day 5.
(The names in this story have been changed to protect the couple’s privacy.)
Blessings,   Pat


Here is a list of the bloggers and their topics for your daily reading.
Hope you are inspired!!

No comments: